CrossFit Week of Workouts 4.1.19
“We don’t look at the whole beach; we focus on one grain of sand. We only see one grain at a time.” ― Ben Bergeron
Strength/Skill Work: 12 Minutes to Work to a Heavy 5-7 Front Rack Step Ups/Leg (Slower Down, Faster Up Tempo)
“Get Reps or Die Tryin”
For Max Reps:
75-60-45-30-15 Seconds of Max Cal Row
75-60-45-30-15 Seconds of DB Thrusters F(35/20) P(45/30) S(50/35)
*15 Seconds Rest Between Each Movement and Each Round
– Last week we tested a 5 Rep Max Back Squat, this week we are testing a 5-7 Heavy Front Rack Step-up/leg. After we find the load per leg, we will be able to give each of you and individualized approach for this 8 week strength cycle. Some of us may get better results from doing the two legged back squat, while some of us might get better results with the front rack step-ups. Make sure we get these weights plugged into SugarWOD, so we can figure out the best approach for you moving forward.
– Our finisher for the day is an interval workout that will move quickly. We are continuing with the squatting pattern from the strength with the DB Thrusters. The weight on the Thruster should be something that you can at least get 10+ unbroken with. With the format of this workout you need to be able to stay moving, so avoid going too heavy. Your row pace should increase each round as the time domains lessen.
4 X 6 Min AMRAPs:
Buy In – 1200/1000m Bike Erg
8 Hang Power Cleans F(115/75) P(135/95) S(155/110)
10/8 Cal Ski
12 Box Jumps F(20/16) P/S(24/20)
*Rest 2 Minutes Between AMRAPs
– “Long December” is the first of many longer interval workouts that we will be releasing on Tuesdays for the next couple of weeks. Today each round will start with a Bike Erg buy-in. Ideally, we are completing the buy-in in around 2:00-2:30, leaving us the remaining time to begin the AMRAP. For the Hang Power Cleans this is a weight that we should be able to go unbroken for at least a few rounds, and then moving into two quick sets. Because the calories on the ski erg are low today, this will allow you to push the pace. The box jumps should be at a steady unbroken pace. Each AMRAP will start back over from the top after your 2 minutes of rest, which will allow you to see if your pacing is consistent from AMRAP to AMRAP.
“Strict Lynne” – Compare to 8.8.18
5 Rounds For Weight and Reps (Starting every 3 1/2 minutes)
Bench Press F(DB Bench Press) P(155/85) S(Bodyweight)
Strict Pull Ups F(Negatives/Banded)
Core WOD + Accessory
10 Minutes For Quality:
1 Set of Ring Dips F(Ring Push Ups) S(Ring Muscle Ups)
60’ Single Arm Farmer’s Carry/Arm (AHAP)
12 Alternating V-Ups F(20 Sec Hollow/Tuck Hold)
12/Side MB Russian Twists
– Our workout today is a variation of the CrossFit benchmark “Lynne”. When selecting a weight for the bench press, make sure we are able to hit at least 5+ reps every round, with your first set being closer to 10+. On the pull ups, you should be hitting a similar rep range to the bench press, so scale as needed. A new round will start every 3.5 minutes to allow you plenty of time to rest between sets. When developing strength, taking adequate rest like this is necessary to allow us to push our limits on each of the 5 rounds. For athletes that are newer to the bench press, or who have shoulder issues, you will want to opt for the DB Bench Press over the barbell today.
– After the WOD today will give you the opportunity to have a little gymnastic fun, while still getting some accessory core work. We want you to make this portion your own, if you want to focus on the Muscle-ups take the core movements a little slower and feel free to make some attempts today or work on a progression for the ring muscle up. If you are more focused on the core work, try to push the heavy carries and keep the movement quality slow and controlled on the V-ups and Twists.
Strength/Skill Work: 8 Min EMOM: 5 Elevated Split Squats @ 30X1 Tempo (Alternate Legs Each Round) S(Weighted Pistols)
18 Min AMRAP:
12 Heavy Wall Balls (AHAP)
40 Double Unders F(Double Taps)
16 Walking Lunges S(Pistols)
– The 8 minute EMOM in the strength portion today will be focused on Single Leg Squat strength. The Elevated Split Squat is a challenging movement, and we have attached a Tempo today to get the most out of it. You may choose to add weight by holding two DB/KBs to your side in a Farmers Carry position. We are also giving a sport option of a weighted pistol for those that are looking for an additional challenge.
– Our WOD today will continue with the single leg squats, while mixing in two leg squats as well. You may choose between walking lunges or the sport option will be pistol squats. Both movements will have a focus on keeping one leg squatting at a time. We will also have heavy wall-balls built in. These will be the same idea as last week’s wall-balls, don’t necessarily focus on the target, but focus on keeping a great position in the squat. Most likely these reps will need to be broken into 6 and 6, or even 3 quick sets. Try to keep a steady pace on the runs today. Because this is an AMRAP, we encourage everyone to run the full distance.
Strength/Skill Work: 18 Minutes to Build to a Heavy Set of 5 Deadlifts (Slower Down, Faster Up Tempo)
3 Rounds For Time: (12 Min Cap)
21 Toes to Bar F(Toes to Rings)
9 D-Ball Cleans F(60/50) P(80/60) S(100+/80+)
– Like the Back Squats and Step-ups that we have tested the past two weeks, today is another number we will want to get into SugarWOD to keep track of. We will be able to use this data to see if there are currently any imbalances between the lifts. The deadlifts will have a tempo attached to them today, so focus on the bar path as you are lowering the bar back to the floor each rep.
– Our workout today is a quicker 3 round for time workout. The Toes to Bar will be the meat of this WOD. Try to keep the sets manageable and focus on keeping the rest shorter. You may choose to lower the number or modify the movement to Toes to Rings. The D-Ball cleans should be a challenging weight but we should be able to get 9 reps inside of 1 minute, so avoid picking a weight that you will have to take long breaks after each rep. For most athletes the goal is to complete this workout under 9 minutes.
Saturday 4.6.19 – No Classes Today – Open Gym From 7-9 AM in the South Building
Beach WOD at Marcinski Park in Juno Beach @ 9:30 AM
2019 03 31