CrossFit Week of Workouts 3.25.19
Strength/Skill Work: 18 Minutes to Work to a Heavy 5 Rep Back Squat
“Big and Tall”
10 Min EMOM:
Min 1) 40 Secs Heavy Wall Balls
Min 2) 40 Secs Tall Box Jumps
– The big focus for the day is the Back Squat. This is going to be our test week for a Back Squat / Step-up cycle that we will be progressing through for the next 8 weeks. Ideally this will be a 5-rep max, or close to it, but you don’t need to go to failure today. 18 minutes is a lot of time, so take your time building for the first 12-15 minutes.
– Today’s Metcon is more of a finisher, after a longer and more taxing Strength portion. Because we want everyone to challenge themselves on the weight of the wall balls and the height of the box jumps, there will be no score today. Pick a weight on the Wall-Balls that will allow you to get 2 good sets in 40 seconds. The tall Box Jumps will be much slower and calculated than most box jump days. Go as high as you can where you can still get at least 5 good jumps inside the allotted work time.
25 Min AMRAP:
3 Rope Climbs F(4 Rope Lowers) S(2 Legless/2 Regular)
12 Power Snatch F(95/65) P(115/80) S(135/95)
“Free Solo” is the first of many long Tuesday workouts that we will be building off of in preparation for Murph, which is about 8 weeks away. The 800m runs will be the meat of this workout, so find a comfortable, but not slow, pace early. Choose a standard on the rope climbs that allows you to complete them in 90 seconds or less. If you are a ninja on the ropes, the sport option will be 2 Legless + 2 Regular climbs. The Power Snatch reps will most likely be quick singles from the beginning. When selecting a weight, it should be something that you COULD hang onto 10+ reps if you were asked to.
Strength/Skill Work: 12 Minutes to Build to a Heavy 5 DB Push Press
*8 Side Plank Up-Downs/Side After Each Set
“Head and Shoulders”
12 Min AMRAP:
15 Cal Bike Erg
12 DB Push Press @ 70-80% of Strength S(12/9 Handstand Push Ups)
15 Sit Ups
– The big focus for the day is Overhead Pressing Strength. For the strength portion, when technique starts breaking down, call it there. After each set, there will be 8 Side Plank Up-Downs per side, to prep the core for the workout, and make sure you are taking plenty of rest between the Push Press sets.
– “Head and Shoulders” will continue with the overhead pressing theme, and you will have the choice between a lighter push press and handstand push ups. Aim to push yourself on the shoulder to overhead movement each round, and stay steady on the bike erg and sit ups. If the push press/hspu is moving well, push the pace on the bike and sit ups to get through more rounds.
Thursday 3.28.19 – Back to Regular Thursday Night Schedule this Week. No More Thursday Yoga.
3 Rounds For Time: (25 Min Cap)
15 Strict Pull Ups @ 20X1 Tempo
500/400m Ski Erg
100m Single Arm Farmer’s Carry
– “Pulling Strings” is a fun Thursday WOD that can be used as a flush, or a very challenging workout! The meat of this workout will come from the Strict Pull-ups. Today we will be keeping all pulling strict. This is a great chance for those of you that have strict pull-ups to begin adding some volume to them. If you have a few, but 15 might be a bit much, feel free to modify the number down, or just spend no more than :90 working on them. The single arm Farmers Carry will be at a weight that you select, but can control with you lat engaged slightly away from the body. Aim to stay steady on the row and ski, and possibly build in speed each round. We are looking for this workout to take around 19-22 minutes for most athletes.
Friday 3.29.19 – The Open is Over. Back to Regular Friday Night Schedule this Week
Strength/Skill Work: 10 Min EMOM: 1 Squat Clean (Spend first 5 minutes building)
“The Chief” – Compare to 4.13.18, 12.27.16
5 X 3 Min AMRAPs
3 Power Cleans F(95/65) P/S(135/95)
6 Push Ups
9 Air Squats
*Rest 1 Minute Between Rounds
– The big focus today is the Clean, which we will have in both the Squat and Power variations. During the strength, the first 5 minutes will be a building phase, and the last 5 reps should be at a heavy and consistent load. You can challenge yourself on the weight today as long as technique allows. There will be plenty of rest between the reps to allow you to recover.
-Today we are bringing back one of our favorite benchmark workouts, “The Chief”. The low rep scheme and mix of movements in this benchmark workout will allow you to move fast and accumulate a lot of rounds. Choose a weight for the power cleans that you can do unbroken for most of this workout. The push ups can be a sticking point for a lot of athletes, so adjust to less reps as needed per round, in order to keep the intensity of this workout.
“Lord of the Rings” – Compare to 4.14.18
4 Rounds For Time: (In Teams of 2, 22 Min Cap)
30 Front Rack Reverse Lunges F(75/55) P(95/65) S(115/75)
200m Run Together
30 Toes to Rings F(Ring Knees to Chest) S(8/6 RMU + 30 T2R)
200m Run Together
-“Lord of the Rings” will be a fun partner workout to conclude the week. The lunges and toes to rings will be shared by you and your partner, while the runs will always be performed together. You always have to start the runs together, but one person can start on the lunges or toes to rings without the other partner being back. Choose a weight for the lunges that you could do 20+ reps unbroken with. Most athletes will actually find the toes to rings to be a much easier movement than the traditional toes to bar, so this is a good day to get outside of your comfort zone and try some of the reps! If you have ring muscle ups, and strong toes to rings, go for the sport option today!
2019 03 24