CrossFit Week of WODs 6.3.19
Strength/Skill Work: 18 min to find a 3 rep Max Front Squat (Slower Down, Faster Up Tempo)
“Jab, Jab, Right Hook”
12 min EMOM (:45 on/:15 off)
Min 1: Wall-Balls F(16/10) P(20/14) S(30/20)
Min 2: 20 Hollow Rocks + Hollow/Tuck Hold in remaining time F(Max Hollow Hold + Tuck Hold)
Min 3: Cal Row
Min 4: Rest
– The focus today is going to be on our strength work, and finding a 3 rep max Front Squat. Similar to the Back Squat and Step-up cycle, we will now be shifting to a Front Squat cycle that will last 10 weeks in total with the idea of increasing our 3 rep max. Each week will be increasing percentages as we work down from higher rep volume days to heavy but low rep volume days as the weeks progress. This will be a score that we for sure want to plug into SugarWOD to come back to each week as a guide on weight.
– With the strength being the focus of the day “Jab, Jab, Right Hook” is quick EMOM finisher. Similar to weeks past our goal on the wall-balls is to challenge the weight and take the focus away from the target, to instead draw all of our attention to the structure of our squat. We will not be keeping track of reps on the wall-balls so break these reps up as much as you need to keep each rep looking perfect. For the hollow rocks you will perform the 20 reps, then immediately go into a hollow or tuck hold for remaining time. Your only score for today’s workout is the the total number of calories you accumulate over the 3 rounds. Push the row as much as you can in the :45 seconds knowing that you will get a minute of rest immediately following.
Every 5 minutes for 4 Rounds (20 minutes):
12 Box Jumps F(20/16) P(24/20) S(16 reps)
8 Power Cleans F(95/65) P(135/95) S(155/105)
*Record Slowest Round
– “The Continuum” is an interval workout with the focus being to stay consistent across the rounds. The score for the day will be the slowest round, so pace yourself in the first few rounds and try to increase as you go. Pick a weight on the power cleans that you can hang onto for a few touch and go reps or stay with for fast singles every round. The box jumps should take around a minute to complete, even if you shoot for the sport option. There will be a hard cut-off at 4:15 so that you get at least :45 seconds of rest per round. If you are not able to finish the work make a distance modification to the run.
Strength/Skill Work: 12 minutes to work to a Heavy 5 rep Single Arm DB Strict Press/ arm at 20×1 Tempo
“Push to Start”
14 min AMRAP:
10 DB Hang Clean and Jerk F(35/25) P(50/35) S(60/40)
12 Toes to Bar F(Toes to Rings)
40 Double Unders (80 singles)
– The big focus of the day is the single arm overhead press, which will be included in both the strength and metcon. During the strength we will build finding a 5 rep max strict press/arm. Add weight until you can no longer perform 5 reps, or when you can no longer sustain the tempo. Start with your weakest arm first. This will be a movement we will be building on in the weeks to come, so make sure we get this plugged into SugarWOD for future reference.
– “Push to Start” will be a quick AMRAP to finish the day. The DB Hang Clean and Jerk will continue with the overhead press movement, but this time it can be performed as a push press or push jerk. You will complete 5 reps on one arm, and 5 on the other arm each round. Pick a weight that you can hang onto for all 10 reps unbroken. The toes to bar will start to add up quickly, so modify the rep number if needed trying to finish the reps in 1-2 quick sets. The Double Unders should not take up any more than a minute. You may choose to cut the reps down or stick with 80 single unders.
24 min AMRAP(In Teams of two):
30 Cal Ski Erg
30 Ring Rows
30 DB Bench Press
200m Farmers Carry
– This weeks Thursday WOD is bringing the PUMP! During this AMRAP we will be in teams of two, and you and your partner will get to decide how you wish to split all of these reps up. With the Ski Erg only being 30 cals we encourage you to transition back and forth often so that we can keep the intensity very high. Because you have a partner splitting the reps with you, walk your feet lower than you typically would to challenge yourself on every rep. You may also choose to place your feet on a box, or add some weight while completing these reps. Pick a weight on the DB Bench Press that when fresh you could complete 15+ reps with. Ideally in this workout every time you pick up the DB’s you should be able to complete 8-10 reps. The farmers carry will tax the grip, but you will have your partner there to help. Only one of the partners will be carrying the KB’s, and you as a team may choose to switch who is hauling the load at anytime.
Strength/Skill Work: Every 2 minutes for 5 Rounds (10 minutes) perform 5 Banded Deadlifts
* Building to Working Weight or slightly above
“Picking up the Pieces”
3 Rounds for Time: (13 min cap)
800/700m Bike Erg
15 Deadlifts F(155/105) P(185/125) S(225/155)
15 Burpees Over the Bar
– The big focus of the day is the deadlift. The banded deadlifts in the strength offer a challenge to the movement the further you pull off the ground, which is where the reps typically gets easier. Over 5 rounds we are trying to build to the weight we want to use in the workout, or just above this weight if the reps are feeling good.
– “Picking up the Pieces” will also include deadlifts, which should feel nice and smooth off the ground now that the band is gone. Pick a weight on the deadlifts that you can complete in 2-3 quick sets each round. The burpees over the bar will be lateral jumps to try and keep the pace of this workout quicker. The bike erg should take us around 1:30 each round to complete. With there only being 3 rounds the goal will be to increase the pace throughout this workout.
Strength/Skill Work: Every 75 seconds for 8 sets (10 minutes) perform 2 Hang Power Snatch + 2 Overhead Squats S(2 Hang Squat Snatch)
“12 Step Program”
12 min AMRAP:
8 Hang Snatch F(75/55) P(95/65) S(115/75)
16 DB Box Step-Overs F(25/15) P(35/25) S(50/35)
– Our big focus today is the Hang Snatch which we will have in both the strength and metcon. Staying patient in the pull is one of the most difficult things to do, so stay light enough in this strength complex that you can own each lift. On the final Hang Snatch we will keep the bar overhead and go directly into two Overhead Squats, taking these reps slow and controlled to get comfortable in the bottom position. If you are comfortable with both the Hang Power Snatch and Overhead Squat we will also be giving the option of performing the more dynamic movement of two Hang Squat Snatch.
– “12 Step Program” will continue the hang snatch trend. During this AMRAP pick a weight on the barbell that you can at least do a few rounds unbroken, with possibly 1 drop in the later rounds. Just like the strength be aware of the bar path during these reps to make each one more efficient to save energy. The DB Box Step-Overs are a grip challenging movement, but we are looking to get these reps done in 1-2 quick sets each round. Each round will end with a 200m run, which we encourage everyone to perform today.
2019 06 02