CrossFit Week of WODs 5.27.19
“Most people, when they reach a certain age, let down and talk about what they used to do. Well, who gives a damn about what you used to do? It’s what you’re doing now.” -Jack Lalanne
Monday 5.27.19 – Memorial Day Schedule – CrossFit at 7, 8, 9, and 10 AM BeachFit at 7:15 AM, 8:15 AM, 9:15 AM, 10:15 AM
“Team Double DT”
10 Rounds For Time: (In teams of 2 – alternating full rounds – 17 Min Cap)
12 Deadlifts F(95/65) P(135/95) S(155/110)
9 Hang Power Cleans
6 Push Jerks
*Sport – 12 Rounds
– In honor of those who made the ultimate sacrifice protecting our freedom we will be taking on Hero WOD “DT” this Memorial Day. “DT” was created in remembrance of USAF SSgt Timothy P. Davis, 28, who was killed on Feburary, 20 2009 supporting operations in OEF when his vehicle was struck by an IED. Timothy is survived by his wife Megan and one-year old son T.J.
– Today’s version of “DT” will allow you to share the load and push alongside your partner. Typically when doing “DT” we recommend making smart breaks early in the workout because you are completing 5 straight rounds. However, with the nearly 1:1 work to rest ratio you should be trying to stay as close to unbroken as possible. The sport option today of 12 total rounds is highly dependent on when you are finishing your original 10 rounds. If you are finishing the 10 rounds in under 12 minutes we encourage you to shoot for the sport option and complete the extra 2 rounds.
“Back and Forth”
24 Min EMOM:
Min 1) 8 Back Rack Lunges (AHAP)
Min 2) 4/Side Side Plank Leg Lifts (3-5 Sec Hold)
Min 3) 45 Sec Ski Erg for Cals
Min 4) Rest
– Our big focus today is the Back Rack Lunge in a fun EMOM format. We encourage you to build throughout the 6 rounds on the Back Rack Lunges working to a heavy set of 8 for the day. You may also choose to get to a challenging weight and stay there for a few sets. The Side Plank Leg Lifts are making a comeback in this workout, but we will be giving a slight window in the time we will be holding the top leg elevated. Find a pace during the first round of the workout that you can sustain for all 6 rounds of the Ski Erg. Record the weight for your back Rack Lunges into SugarWOD and how many total Ski Calories you accumulated.
Strength/Skill Work: 12 Min EMOM:
Min 1) 6-8 Rope Strict Knees to Elbows F(Strict Knees to Chest) S(L-Sit Rope Climbs)
Min 2) 6-8 DB Bent Over Rows Right @ 20X1 Tempo
Min 3) 6-8 DB Bent Over Rows Left @ 20X1 Tempo
15 Min AMRAP:
900/800m Bike Erg
60 Double Unders F(60 Double Taps)
3 Rope Climbs F(9 RA Pull Ups) S(1 Legless + 3 RC)
– Our focus today is pulling which we will have in both the strength and metcon. During the Bent Over Rows we encourage you to increase weight each round as long as you are able to control the tempo. We have also given a rep range that you can play with as the weight increases. The Rope Strict Knees to Chest is a challenging movement that will help us prep for the rope climbs to come. This movement will also require core strength, and we are giving another option of an L-Sit Rope Climb as high as you can pull for an extra challenge.
– “E-Brake” will continue with the pulling from the strength with Rope Climbs. Depending on your current skill level with the rope climbs we have a couple of different options to choose from, but try to stay around 1:30 of total work time on the reps. The Bike Erg will also take around 1:30 to complete each round while keeping a steady pace. For the Double Unders you may choose to slightly cut the reps down, or stick with double taps to stay moving throughout. Ideally we are completing each round 3:30-4:30 minutes.
25 Min AMRAP:
7 Med Ball Squat Cleans
15/Side MB Russian Twists
7/Side Suitcase Deadlifts
60’/Side SA Farmer’s Carry
30 Second Ring FLR
60m Sled Drag
– “Scatterplot” is our flush workout for the week, but can be a challenging workout if you push it. Focus on movement quality above anything else in this workout, and try to feel better leaving the gym than you did when you walked in. Select a weight on the med ball movements that allow you to OWN the technique. You will also be able to select your weight for the Suitcase Deadlifts, a great anti-rotational core exercise. This Deadlift will go directly into a Single Arm Farmers carry down the turf. Challenge yourself on the Ring FLR hold, trying to keep the hips a little higher than normal, and rotating the thumbs away from the body. The last movement is a 60 m sled drag outside in the alley between the buildings. If this is a flush day for you remember to take this at a nice steady pace, get yourself sweating!
Strength/Skill Work: Every 75 Seconds for 8 Sets – 2 Power Snatch + 1 Overhead Squat @ 21X1 Tempo
“Double or Nothing”
2 Rounds For Time: (16 Min Cap)
15 Thrusters F(75/55) P(95/65) S(115/75)
15 Overhead Squats F(75/55 Front Squats) P(95/65) S(115/75)
– Last week we spent some time focusing on technique throughout a few snatch positions, and this week we will be building upon that. The two power Snatch in the complex should not be tap and go, instead reset at the floor between the reps and make each lift as good as you can. On your last Power Snatch you can leave it overhead for 1 Tempo Overhead Squat. We want to attach this tempo on the overhead squat to require you to slow the movement down and get comfortable with the barbell locked out overhead. You may choose to build throughout the 8 sets, or find a weight and stay there for multiple sets.
– “Double or Nothing” is a two round workout that will continue with the overhead squat trend from the strength. The Thrusters and the Overhead Squats should be performed at a weight that you think you could complete in 1-2 quick sets. If you are having to break more than that, lower the weight to try and increase the overall intensity of the workout. The Row and Run should both take around 1:30 to complete, and know that you only have two rounds of each should help motivate you to keep the pace high. We expect most people to finish this workout in 13-14 minutes.
20 Min AMRAP: (Teams of 2)
50 Box Jumps F(20/16) P/S(24/20)
40 Toes to Bar F(Toes to Rings)
20/15 Strict Pull Ups F(Banded Strict Pull Ups/Ring Rows)
– We will be ending this week with a fun partner workout “Press Box”. This is a chipper style workout which allows you and your partner to split the reps however you wish, with one person working and one person resting. On all of the movements the rep numbers are pretty high, so we recommend breaking up the reps early and often to be able to sustain for the entire 20 minutes. Whatever modification we choose on the Strict Pull-ups, make sure we are keeping the movement strict today, no kipping. The boxes jumps may be modified in height, or to a step-up as needed. For the toes to bar we will have to option to perform toes to ring to allow you a more free kip swing if you are still working towards ttb. Break the burpees into small sets to get through the reps quickly and keep you from burning out quick.
2019 05 26