CrossFit Week of WODS 4.29.19
Strength/Skill Work: 5 Sumo Deadlifts @ 20X1 Tempo – Every 2 Minutes for 8 Minutes (4 Rounds) – Use 80-90% of Last Week’s Heavy 3
2 Rounds For Time: (16 Min Cap)
800m Run F(600m)
30 Russian KB Swings F(53/35) P(62/44) S(70/53)
20/15 Cal Ski Erg
– Building off of last weeks 3 rep max, we will be hitting percentage work with the Sumo Deadlift. Repeating the movement so soon will give you the opportunity to take what you learned last week and nail in the technique for multiple reps today. If you were not here, we will give plenty of time to build up to a weight that you plan to use during the strength portion, but use a weight that you can hit for multiple reps comfortable while controlling the tempo.
– “Jet Ski” will continue with the hinge pattern from the strength, this time with the Russian KB Swing. Select a weight on the Russian KBS that you can try to complete the 30 reps in 2 quick sets. The 800 m runs should take us around 4 minutes to complete. If we are not able to finish the 800 meter in under 5 minutes, cut the distance down to 600 m to try and finish this workout. Push yourself on the Ski Erg calories knowing that this is only a two round workout. Ideally, we are finishing this workout in the 12-14 minute range, making each round 6-7 minutes.
4 Rounds For Time: (38 Min Cap)
20 Pull Ups F(Jumping Pull Ups)
30 Push Ups
40 Sit Ups
50 Air Squats
*3 Minutes Rest Between Rounds
– “Barbara” is a classic CrossFit benchmark and a perfect fit for our Tuesday “Murph” prep. The workout is prescribed originally with 5 rounds, which is our sport option, but because of the overall volume and time we have in a class we are making 4 rounds our prescribed amount today. Your score today will be total time including the 3 minutes of rest between rounds leaving us just over 7 minutes to complete each round, or for the sport option 6.5 minutes. For the pull-ups you may choose to slightly cut the reps down if you are still working on the movement, or modify to jumping pull-ups to allow yourself to keep moving. The push-ups should be completed in quick but manageable sets from the beginning. Modify this movement with banded push-ups or box push-ups. Try to stay moving on the Sit-ups and Air Squats breaking them into manageable sets and taking quick breaks when needed.
Strength/Skill Work: 1 HH Power Clean + 1 Mid-Hang Power Clean + 1 Hang Power Clean – Every 90 Secs for 8 Rounds (12 Mins)
10 Min AMRAP:
5 Curtis P’s F(45/35) P(75/55) S(95/65)
50 Double Unders F(Double Taps)
– Our strength today will be a taking a step back from last weeks 1 rep max hang clean to focus on the individual pieces of the movement. The main goal with this complex is to get comfortable bringing the bar back to position 1 as we gradually move away from it with each lift. You may choose to build throughout the 8 rounds or stay at one weight and put a bigger focus on movement quality.
– “P. Diddy” is a quick 10 minute finisher for the day. The Curtis P is a BeachFit staple, but today we are adding our CrossFit twist on it with the barbell. One rep of the Curtis P consists of 1 Power Clean + 1 Lunge (Right) + 1 Lunge (Left) + 1 Push Press. The weights that we have listed are meant to be light enough to move through quickly, even as the reps start to add up. For most of athletes the lunges will turn into the limiting factor so base your weight off of this. Feel free to modify the total number of double unders, or modify the movement to Double Taps. Ideally we are completing each round in 1:30-2:00.
4 Rounds For Time: (20 Min Cap)
1000/900m Bike Erg
120’ Bear Crawl S(60’ HS Walk)
120’ Heavy Farmer’s Carry
– “Bike Messenger” is the perfect flush for the tough week that we have had so far. The Bike Erg will have a slightly longer distance than last Tuesday and we are expecting most to finish the bike in around 2:00-2:30 minutes. We will be giving the option of a Bear Crawl or Handstand Walk for our gymnastic movement. You may choose to cut the distance down slightly if you are wanting to practice the Handstand Walk today, but try to not allow this to take more than 2 minutes. The farmers carry should be as heavy as possible, as long as we can control the KB’s away from the body. There will be no score on this workout, but make sure you leave plenty of notes in SugarWOD.
Strength/Skill Work: 4 Sets of 4 Back Squats + AMRAP Set of Back Squats at that weight
4 Sets of 4 Front Rack Step Ups + AMRAP Set on Weaker Leg
-Use 95-100% of 5 Rep Max For Both Movements. Slower Down, Faster Up Tempo (18 Min Cap)
“The Four Seasons”
4 Rounds For Quality:
30 Secs of Rope Climbs F(Rope Lowers) S(Legless)
30 Secs of Goblet Squats/Goblet Step Ups (AHAP)
30 Secs of a Hollow Hold F(Tuck Hold)
30 Secs of Single Arm High Pulls (Alternate rounds)
*15 Secs Rest Between Movements
– This is Week 4 of our strength progression on either the Back Squat or Step-up. You will be sticking with the same movement that you have performed in the following weeks, and basing your percentage off of your test weight. The overall rep volume is starting to decrease, but the percentages are getting much heavier. Today we are giving a small window in percentages, so if you feel good shoot for the 100%, if they are feeling heavier stay around 95% for the working sets. After your 4th set of Back Squats you will perform an AMRAP set for the 5th set shooting for 4+ reps. For the step-ups, you will perform your AMRAP set with your weaker of the two legs.
– Our big focus of the day is our strength work, so today’s metcon is a short finisher that will not be scored. There will only be :30 seconds of work at each station with a quick :15 rest and transition between movements. The rope climbs will allow for 1-2 reps in the time frame. You may choose to practice the rope climb, try a legless climb, or modify the movement to rope lowers as needed. For the Goblet Squats / Goblet Step-ups you will choose the movement OPPOSITE of what you performed in the strength. The High Pull is a movement that we have added into our programming the past couple of weeks. Either stay at the same weight you have been using, or try to increase the weight slightly as long as you can control the tempo of faster down slower up each rep.
18 Min AMRAP:
180’ Sled Push F(90/45) P/S(135/90)
40 DB Bench Press F(45/25) P(60/35) S(70/40)
20 Power Snatch F(75/55) P(95/65) S(115/75)
– We will be finishing this week off strong with a fun and challenging partner WOD! Each movement will be separated by a 500/400 m row that can be split between you and your partner however you wish. The sled will be 3 total down and backs (6 x 30’ pushes). Because you get rest and can split the pushes with your partner you may choose to go a little heavier on the sled today. The DB Bench reps will need to be split early and often as these reps will add up quickly. Select a weight that you can try to perform 8-10 reps per set. The Power Snatches should be a weight that you can hang on to for a couple reps at at time. Your score will be total rounds and reps, don’t forget to leave your partners name in your comments on SugarWOD.
2019 04 28