CrossFit Week of WODS 3.9.20
Strength/Skill Work: 12 minutes to build to a moderate Power Clean + Push Jerk
*10-20% above final barbell weight in WOD
“Biggie and Pac”
16 min AMRAP (Partner WOD):
30/25 Cal Bike Erg
20 Clean and Jerks (Increasing Loads)
4 Rope Climbs F(Rope Lowers) S(6 Rope Climbs)
F(95/65, 115/75, 135/85, 155/95) P(115/75, 135/95, 155/105, 175/115) S(135/95, 155/105, 185/125, 205/135)
– The focus for the day is the Clean and Jerk. We have been barbell cycling for the past couple of weeks, cleans specifically, working towards the benchmark WOD “Grace” which we will be performing in the next few weeks. Today will be a great chance to get some repetitions with a heavier barbell. The strength will be used as a prep for the WOD, building up in weight through the 12 minutes. Ideally you build to a weight that is 10-20% heavier than the weight of the final barbell you plan to use in the WOD to follow. This portion is NOT scored to allow you to focus on quality movement.
– “Biggie and Pac” will be a fun partner WOD to kick off the week. As a team you can decide how you wish to split the reps, one partner working, with the other resting. The Bike Erg isn’t a big amount of Calories, but we would still recommend short and quick sprints before switching off. The Clean and Jerks will start light in Round 1, but will progress in weight each round. The barbell should build from something you could tap and go, to something you have to do singles at. The Rope Climbs should take around 60 seconds to complete as a team, so base the rep number you choose off of time. We expect most rounds to average around 4 minutes, which will get you 4 total rounds of this workout, and through the 4 increasing weights.
4 Min AMRAP:
27/21 Calorie Row
27 Chest to Bar Pull Ups F(Pull Ups/Ring Rows)
4 Min AMRAP:
21/15 Calorie Row
21 Toes-to- Bar F(Knees to Chest)
4 Min AMRAP:
15/9 Calorie Row
15 Pull-ups F(Jumping Pull Ups)
*Rest 4:30 Between AMRAPs
-Today we will be tackling “Lead Foot”, a repeat workout from 3.12.19 and 10.8.19. During each 4 minute AMRAP the reps decrease, gymnastic movements changes, and we are expecting you to get further through each time. In the first AMRAP, getting a good chunk of chest to bar pull ups done would be a good goal. During the second AMRAP, we hope to complete the Toes to Bar, and by the last AMRAP, we are hoping to complete the row on round 2. For the gymnastics movement each round, make sure you are able to get sets of 5+ reps at a time, at whatever standard you choose. This will keep the intensity of this workout high, and keep you working for most of the 4 minute interval. Our score today is going to be total reps.
Strength/Skill Work: Every 2:30 for 5 sets perform 5 Front Squats (Increasing Load)
*After each set perform 4-6 Slider Body Saws
“Brace for Impact”
12 min EMOM: (:40 on/:20 off – For Quality)
Min 1: 10-15 Wall-Balls (AHAP)
Min 2: :40 Ring FLR Hold
Min 3: :40 Double Unders
– The focus for today is the Front Squat strength. This is a format that we have been using over the past couple of weeks to allow for adequate recovery between sets, but also allow for an accessory movement between. We will be giving you plenty of time before we start to build up to a starting weight, but you can increase weight each set if it feels good. After each set of Squats we will perform 4-6 Slider Body Saws. The Body Saws will challenge the core, and help us prep for the FLR Hold later in the WOD.
– “Brace for Impact” is our finisher for the day. This EMOM will be for quality, as the only thing we are scoring is the weight you use for Wall-Balls. This is a workout that we want you to challenge the weight of the Med Ball you use for the wall-balls, as long as you can maintain a good upright squatting posture. With these rep numbers we expect you to have 1-2 working sets each round. The next station will be a :40 second FLR. This will be a challenging movement for the core, specifically after the Slider Body Saws from earlier in the day. The final minute will be :40 seconds of Double Unders. You may use this as a chance to practice the movement, or try to PR your unbroken set.
“Box of Chocolates”
For Time: (29 min cap)
100ft. Handstand Walk F(200 ft.SA DB OH Carry)
200m Sled Drag (90/45)
1,000m Ski Erg
300m D-Ball Shoulder Carry (AHAP)
– “Box of Chocolates” is our longest WOD of the week. Depending on how you are feeling from the week so far should determine how you attack this workout. All of the longer aerobic movements will be separated by a carry, drag or higher skill movement. The Row and Run will most likely take around 5-6 minutes to complete. The Ski Erg will be closer to 4-5 minutes. The Handstand Walk will be a longer distance, or can be modified to a SA DB Overhead Carry if we don’t yet have this skill. If you are attempting the HS Walk, try to limit yourself to 3 minutes on this station. The Sled Drag will be one lap around both buildings, and should be a lighter weight to allow you to keep moving. The last movement in this WOD is a heavy D-Ball Shoulder Carry. You can change back and forth between shoulders as you wish, and can go as heavy as you can, as long as you can stay upright. This WOD will have a 29 minute time cap.
Strength/Skill Work: 10 min EMOM:
Set 1: 5-7 RDL’s (30×1)
Set 2: :15-20 second Ring Support Hold
3 Rounds For TIme: (11 min cap)
18 Russian KB Swings F(62/44) P(70/53) S(88/62)
12 Box Jumps F(Step-ups) P(24/20”) S(30/24”)
9 Strict Ring Dips F(Push-ups) S(High Rings) (20×1)
– The focus today is on the hinge, which we will have in both the strength and metcon. The strength will be a slight build on the RDL’s we completed 2 weeks ago. We are slightly dropping the reps from 6-8 per round to 5-7. We will be keeping the same slow tempo on each rep. The barbell does not need to touch the floor, just focus on getting a good stretch in the hamstrings. We will be taking some time before hand to build to a moderate/heavy weight so that we can minimize the changing of weight during the EMOM. The second minute will be a Ring Support Hold to prep for the Ring Dips in the WOD.
– “Swing State” will be a quick 3 round WOD to end the day. We will keep the hinge pattern from the strength with the Russian KB Swing. This should be a weight that is challenging, but you could hang onto unbroken for at least a round or two. The Box Jumps should be slightly higher than you would typically use, and we recommend everyone step down. The Ring Dips should be completed in 1-2 quick sets, performed with a tempo. We can modify the tempo push-ups, or even modify the high rings and start with a muscle-up. We expect most people to finish around the 9 minute mark on this WOD.
20 minute AMRAP: (Partner WOD)
DB Thrusters F(30/15) P(40/25) S(50/35)
Australian Ring Rows (20×0)
Cal Bike Erg
– “Sriracha” will be a spicy Partner WOD to end the week. This will be an ascending 20 minute AMRAP. Each time you complete a round, the next round will add 5 more reps to each movement. The Thrusters should be at a weight that you could do at least 15-20 reps unbroken when fresh. The Ring Rows will have a slow tempo down on each rep, and we recommend breaking these up early to avoid burnout. The Bike Erg will start off quick, but the calories will quickly add up. Even while the reps are low, break up the movement often. It will only take 3-4 rounds to get to rep number that make this a much more challenging WOD.
2020 03 08