CrossFit Week of WODS 3.2.20
Strength/Skill Work: Every 2:30 for 5 sets perform 5 Banded Deadlifts (Building)
*After each set perform 6-8 Cossack Squats
“Guns Blazing” (Repeat from 4.22.19)
For Time: (10 Min Cap)
30 Alternating Lunges S(30 Pistols)
30 Russian KB Swings F(53/35) P(70/53) S(88/62)
30/24 Cal Row
30/24 Cal Bike Erg
30/24 Cal Ski
– Over the past couple of weeks we have had at least one day focused on a heavy hinging movement, which will continue today with the Banded Deadlifts and later with the Heavy Russian KBS. During the strength we will be building in weight through 5 total working sets. We will be adding the band to give us an added challenge, specifically as we get further away from the floor, where the rep usually gets easier. After each set we will superset the Deadlifts with 6-8 Cossack Squats to help prep for the single leg work coming in today’s WOD.
-“Guns Blazing” is a sprint chipper. There are 5 different movements with a decent amount of reps, but it should be completed at a very quick pace. For the lunges these should be a quick unbroken set. If you are comfortable with pistols you may choose the sport option today, but don’t allow these to take longer than 2:00. The Russian KBS is heavy, challenge yourself to hang on for all 30 reps – but you may need to take one short break before completing. Once we make it to the different ergs, it is go time. Put the pedal to the medal and finish off the workout. We challenge you to try and complete this workout in between 7-9 minutes.
Strength/Skill Work: 12 minutes to build to a moderately heavy 3-5 rep Strict Press (20×1)
*After each set perform 4-6/side DB Bent Over Row (20×1)
4 x 4 min AMRAPs:
12 SA DB Shoulder to Overhead (6/side) F(45/30) P(60/40) S(70/45)
12 Box Jump Overs (24/20”)
12 Pull-ups F(6 Strict Pull-ups) S(6 Muscle-ups)
*Rest 1 minute between AMRAPs, pick up where you left off
– Our biggest focus today is the Shoulder to Overhead, while also continuing with our Interval Tuesdays. During our strength we will be working to a moderately heavy 3-5 reps on a Barbell Strict Press. This is a movement that can get heavy fast, so make smart jumps as you are building in the 12 minutes. After each set we will be adding in DB Bent Over Rows to help prep for the Pull-ups that will be coming in the WOD. Both the Pressing and Rows will have a slight tempo attached to them in the strength.
– The “16th Amendment” will be our interval WOD of the week and will continue with the Shoulder to Overhead trend of the day. Treat this WOD like a 16 minute AMRAP as the 1 minute of rest won’t be a ton of time to get recovered before starting again. Each round pick up where you left off in the previous AMRAP. The SA DB S2OH should be at a challenging weight, but something you are confident you can hit 6 reps unbroken per side each round. The Box Jump Overs can be performed as lateral jumps to speed the reps up if you wish. Break the Pull-ups or Muscle-ups into 2-3 small sets from the beginning to avoid burning out too quickly on these. Your score today will be total rounds and reps.
Strength/Skill Work: 12 min EMOM:
Min 1-2: 4-6 Rear Foot Elevated Split Squats (20×1)
Min 3-4: :30 sec. Side Plank Up-Downs (20×1)
15 min AMRAP:
20/16 Cal Row
10 Hang Squat Cleans F(75/55) P/S(95/65)
– The focus today is the Squat which we will have in a single leg variation in the strength, and a bilateral version in the WOD. During the strength EMOM you may choose to stay at the same weight or increase weight each round on the Rear Foot Elevated Split Squats. These will have a tempo to control the lowering phase of the movement. The EMOM will also have a Side Plank up down, with the same tempo, for some adding core accessory work.
– “Sunset Cruise” is a longer AMRAP that will continue with the Squat pattern, this time bilaterally. The barbell weight for the Hang Squat Cleans should be very light to allow you to cycle through the reps in 1-2 quick sets each round. The Sit-ups will be a movement that will add up rep wise, but will also give you a chance to catch your breath each round. The Cal Row should take around 1 minute to complete each round. The goal for this WOD is to complete the rounds in about 3:00, to shoot for 5 total rounds.
For Time: (24 min cap)
21 DB Bench Press
15/12 Cal Ski Erg
15 DB Bench Press
15/12 Cal Ski Erg
9 DB Bench Press
15/12 Cal Ski Erg
– “Sweaty Spotter” will have a big focus on running, and horizontal pressing. If you are unsure that you can run a sub 10 mile comfortably, we recommend cutting 200m off each of the listed distances. The Bench Press reps will be decreasing each round, which will give you the option of staying at the same weight or slightly increasing as they do lower in volume. The Ski Erg rep number will stay the same and should take around 1 minute each round to complete. We have a 24 minute time cap on this WOD, but expect most people to finish around 20 minutes.
Strength/Skill Work: Every 1:15 minutes for 6 rounds perform 3 Power Snatch @ 65-75%
For Time: (13 min cap)
Hang DB Snatch F(40/25) P(50/35) S(60/40)
Burpees Over the DB
Double Unders x2 F(Plate Hops)
– Our focus today will be on the Snatch which we will have in both the Strength and WOD. During the strength we will be staying a lighter to moderate percentage of our 1 rep max to focus on technique. This should be a weight that you can hit efficiently for 3 reps at a time, with a quick reset at the ground (not tap and go).
– “Hangover Remedies” will be a descending ladder with a shorter time cap. When you see a workout with descending reps you should throttle back the first round, and try to increase your pace slightly each round as the reps decrease. We will continue with the Snatch, this time with a Hang DB Snatch. This should be a weight that when fresh you could complete at least 15 reps unbroken on one side, for this WOD you may choose to break more often than this. The Burpees will be performed lateral, so focus on staying low and moving quickly back and forth over the DB. The Double Unders will be 2x the given rep number for that round, so you may choose to scale back the number or modify the movement to a plate hop. There is a 13 minute time cap on this workout, but we expect most to finish around 9-11 minutes.
“BETTER HALF BATTLE”
2020 03 01