CrossFit Week of WODs 12.2.19
“3 Under Par”
18 min EMOM:
Min 1: 3 Hang Squat Clean (Pos. 2) @ 65-70%
Min 2: 1-2 sets of Strict Pull-ups (20×1) F(3-4 Negatives)
Min 3: :15-20 second L-Sit F(Knee Tuck Hold)
– “3 Under Par” is repeating last Monday’s format, with different movements included. This will also be Week 2 of our Clean Progression which is the biggest focus of the workout. Like last week, we will have 3 unbroken reps, now coming from position 2. Stay within these percentages as we will continue increasing each week. You can customize the Strict Pull-ups as needed to best fit you. If you have under 2 Strict Pull-ups, you can start with 1-2 reps and then add in an additional 2-3 negatives. If pull-ups are a good movement, focus on good quality reps over the quantity of reps. The L-Sit or Knee Tuck will be a short movement for the core, but will allow you to have a substantial amount of rest before the next set of cleans.
“Gone with the Wind”
5 minute window:
Buy-In: 800m Run
AMRAP Bike Erg Cals
-Rest 5 minutes-
5 minute window:
Buy-In: 800/700m Ski Erg
AMRAP Cal Row
-Rest 5 minutes-
– This is going to be our long aerobic workout for the week. Because of the 1:1 work/rest ratio push hard during your time working, knowing you will have a lot of recovery time. Each 5 minute window will have a “Buy-in” to complete before you get to the scored part of today’s WOD, the Calories. There is nothing fancy about this workout, just a lot of hard breathing!
Strength/Skill Work: Every 75 seconds for 8 sets:
Set 1: 8 Barbell Bent Over Rows (30×1)
Set 2: 6 Paloff Press/side (30×1)
4 Rounds: (15 minute cap)
8 Tempo Deadlifts @ 50-60% of 1 Rep Max (30×1)
8 Box Jumps F(20/16) P(24/20) S(30/24)
:20 second Side Plank/side
*1 minute Rest
– Our focus today is pulling, and both the strength and metcon will have a different variation. During the strength we will start with Barbell Bent Over Rows. These will have a tempo attached so we are not as worried about how much weight you add, but if you can control the reps you can add weight as you see fit. This will be paired with a Paloff Press, with the same tempo as the Bent Over Rows. These are a great anti-rotational core accessory movement.
– “Slow Jamz” will also have pulling, this time with Tempo Deadlifts. The deadlifts may look like because of the percentages attached, but if you move slowly and stick to the listed tempo, this will get challenging. The Box Jumps are meant to be slowly taller, so take your time between the reps and being explosive on each individual jump. If you normally stick to step-ups, this would be a good chance to jump to something. For the core movement you will have a :20 second Side Plank per side, before taking a full minute off. Movement quality is our biggest focus in this workout, so this should not feel like an all out effort pace each round. Instead, try to move with purpose for each individual movement.
“Flip It, and Reverse It”
12 min EMOM:
Min 1: 6-8 DB Bench Press (AHAP)
Min 2: 10-20 Cal Bike Erg
Min 3: 6-8 Strict Knee to Elbow (2 second descent)
Min 4: :40 second Double Under Practice
3 Rounds for Time:
10-20 Cal Bike Erg
6-8 Strict Knee to Elbow (2 second descent)
20-50 Double Unders F(40 Plate Jumps)
– If you have been with us on Thursday for the past couple of weeks, you will recognize this format. Ideally all of the movements are
taking :40-50 seconds to complete. The EMOM should be treated as a primer and give you the opportunity to decide the rep numbers
you will be trying to sustain. This does not mean that it should be easy to complete each minute. Once we switch to the For Time workout it should be a 5-10% increase in your pace. We have a few minutes that will be changing from the EMOM to For Time. The EMOM will allow you to complete 6-8 DB Bench Press, before switching to bodyweight Push-Ups in the For Time. We will also be changing from :40 seconds of Double Under practice to a set number of reps, or to Plate Jumps if we are still working on the movement. We are focusing on the negative portion of the Knee to Elbow today, trying to maintain the hollow body position. We have a large range for the Bike Erg, during the EMOM find the number that will challenge you to hang onto throughout this workout.
Strength/Skill Work: Every 2:30 for for 6 Rounds: 5, 4, 3, 5, 4, 3 Back Squat
*Between each set perform :20-30 second D-Ball Front Hold
2 Rounds: (4 Rounds/Station Tabata):
Australian Ring Rows (20×0)
60 ft. Plate Push
D-Ball Front Squat (20×0)
*Additional 10 second transition between stations
– The big focus today is the Squat which we will have in both the Strength and Metcon. During the strength we will be bringing back the wave
format, and building upon last week. The goal is to slightly increase the weight as the rep number decreases, and also increase the weights
from the first wave to the second. Between each set we will be performing :20-30 second D-Ball Front Hold. Once the weight gets heavy, you may
choose to cut these out to get more rest between your Squats.
– “Bloomin’ Onion” will be a quick Tabata finisher for the day. You will stay at each station for 4 rounds of the :20 on/:10 off interval. For the Ring Rows shoot for 1 quality set while holding the tempo, and try not to hit failure early. The Plate Push will be 1 x 60 ft. push per interval, as soon as you finish the remaining time is rest. Pick a weight on the D-Ball that allows you to stay moving for the entire :20 seconds of work. This station will be about 6-7 reps per interval, so they will add up quickly. Between each station you will get an additional :10 rest, and we will go through two full rounds.
“Beauty and the Beast” (Repeat from 4.27.19)
16 Rounds For Time: (Teams of 2 -Alternating Full Rounds)
3 Power Snatch F(95/65) P(135/85) S(155/105)
6 Burpees Over the Bar
9/7 Cal Row
*21 min cap
– “Beauty and the Beast” is a fun Partner WOD to finish the week strong. Partners will be alternating full rounds until each partner has accumulated 8 rounds, or 16 total rounds for the team. Select a weight on the Power Snatch that you compete as singles, but that doesn’t take you over :20-:25 seconds to finish. The burpees over the bar are going to be performed as lateral burpees today to keep the speed much higher. The row is a small enough rep number that you should treat this like a sprint to finish each round. Because you are alternating full rounds you will get a 1:1 work to rest ratio, so you can afford to keep the intensity high during your working round. Ideally we are finishing each round in around 1 minute, but we must complete the rounds faster than 1:18 to be on pace to finish this workout.
2019 12 01