CrossFit Week of WODs 11.11.19
Monday 11.11.19 – Veterans Day
Strength/Skill Work: 12 minutes to build to a moderate Squat Clean double
*Perform as two singles
“The Big Chief”
5 X 3 Min AMRAPs:
3 Power Cleans @ 70-80% of Strength
6 Push Ups
9 Air Squats
*Rest 1 Minute Between Rounds
– The big focus today is the Clean, which we will have in both the strength and metcon. During the strength we will be building to a moderate Squat Clean double. We will be going for a heavy single next week, so our goal this week is to find a weight that you can hit for two smooth reps. These reps will be performed as singles, so take a 5-10 second rest between reps. We will be using a percentage of this weight later in the workout.
-Today we are bringing back one of our favorite benchmark workouts, “The Chief” with a slight variation. The low rep scheme and mix of movements in this benchmark workout will allow you to move fast and accumulate a lot of rounds. Instead of the normal barbell weights, today you will use a percentage of the weight you found in the strength. This should be a weight that you could hang onto unbroken, but you may choose to complete as quick singles. The push ups can be a sticking point for a lot of athletes, so adjust to less reps as needed per round, in order to keep the intensity of this workout.
Strength/Skill Work: Every 75 Seconds for 4 Rounds – 8 Sets: (For Quality)
Set 1) 5/Arm DB Bent Over Rows
Set 2) 5-7 Hollow Banded Lat Pull Downs w/ PVC (2 Sec Hold at Thighs)
(Total: 10 min)
“Abominable Snowman” – Repeated from 11.20.18
4 X 2 Min AMRAPs
15/12 Cal Ski Erg F(12/9 Cals)
15 Toes to Bar F(12 Toes to Rings)
Max Double Unders in Remaining Time F(Plate Jumps)
*2 Minutes Rest Between AMRAPs
– Today has a gymnastics focus in the strength and the metcon. During the strength we will go through a quick EMOM focusing on upper body pulling, as well as lat engagement. For the DB Bent Over Rows feel free to stay at the same weight, or slightly increase the weight each minute. The goal of the Hollow Body Banded Lat Pull Down is to get you to understand the feeling of lat engagement, which will greatly help you in your Toes to Bar. Stay in the hollow position is also a quick way to fire up the core.
– “Abominable Snowman” is a quick interval workout with a 1:1 work/rest ratio. Anytime you see this we want your pace to be extremely fast during your working time knowing that you will have plenty of time to recover before going again. You will start this workout on the ski. The ski should be a calorie number that you can finish in under :50 seconds, otherwise we will cut the calories down to the fitness option. There will be a 1 minute cap on the ski, so if you are not done by then you will move on to the Toes to Bar. For the Toes to Bar we would like for you to keep as close to unbroken as possible, trying not to go over 2 sets to complete. You may choose to cut the reps down, or go to Toes to Rings. With all remaining time we will be completing max rep Double Unders, or Plate Jumps – this will be your score today.
Strength/Skill Work: 14 minutes to build to a heavy 6-8 Back Rack Lunges
“The Walking Dead”
14 min AMRAP:
14/12 Cal Row
14 Weighted Box Step-ups F(30/15) P(40/25) S(50/35)
14 Ball Slams F(20/15) P/S(30/20)
– The big focus for the day is single leg strength, which we will hit on in both the strength and metcon. During the strength you will have an open 14 minutes to build to a heavy 6-8 total back rack lunges. This is a combined total between the legs, not per leg. Make smaller jumps as you are building, as this movement gets heavy quickly. If you are not able to drive from the front leg, or can no longer maintain an upright torso, don’t go any higher in weight.
– “The Walking Dead” is a 14 minute AMRAP to finish the day. The row ideally should take around one minute to complete each round. The Weighted Step-ups will continue the single leg focus from the strength. During the step-ups you will be holding 1 DB in the front rack position. Pick a weight that allows you to completely stand up before bringing the other leg to the box for assistance. The ball slams today should be a lighter weight that allows you to move quickly, and generate some force on the slam. For this workout our goal is to try and complete 5+ rounds.
“You Gotta Be Quicker Than That”
12 min EMOM:
Min 1: 15/12 Cal Bike Erg F(12/10)
Min 2: 20-25 Sit-ups
Min 3: 12-15 Box Jumps F(20/16) P/S(24/20)
Min 4: 4-10 Strict Pull-ups
3 Rounds for Time: (12 min cap)
15/12 Cal Bike Erg F(12/10)
12-15 Box Jumps F(20/16) P/S(24/20)
4-10 Strict Pull-ups F(Ring Rows)
– The big focus today is pacing. During the EMOM portion of this workout, the goal is to find a groove. You should be hitting numbers on each movement that you know you can repeat each round, which is the reason for bigger ranges on the reps. The EMOM will repeat itself 3 times, so you will get plenty of opportunity to feel this out. As soon as the last minute of the EMOM is finished, you will immediately start a 3 round for time WOD. Whatever reps you used in the EMOM, use them again in the 3 round portion. The first portion is pacing, the second portion is pushing that pace. When picking rep numbers, choose the amount of reps that allows you to finish the movement in the EMOM with about :10-15 to spare when finished. Your score today is the total time it takes to complete the For Time WOD.
Strength/Skill Work: 15 minutes to build to a heavy weight for the complex of 1 Strict Press + 2 Push Press
10 min AMRAP:
12 SA DB Thrusters F(30/15) P(40/25) S(50/35)
– The big focus today is Overhead Pressing. During the 15 minutes you will be building to a heavy weight in the complex of 1 Strict Press + 2 Push Press. This is a lot of time given for a complex that starts with a Strict Press, so we want you to make very small jumps to get in plenty of working sets. The goal of the portion is to feel and understand how to properly use your legs on the dip and drive of the Push Press.
– “Overhead Luggage” is a short and sweet 10 minute AMRAP to end the day. For the DB on the SIngle Arm Thrusters, pick a weight that you could do 12+ reps unbroken on 1 side. For the WOD, split the reps 6/6 on each arm. For the runs try to hold a pretty aggressive pace because the workout is so short. A good goal to shoot for today is 4-5 rounds.
“3 Piece Meal”
3 Rounds For Time: (Partner WOD)
60/50 Cal Row F(50/40)
40 Deadlifts F(155/105) P(185/125) S(205/135)
20/10 Ring Muscle-ups F(30/20 Ring Dips)
*25 min cap
– Saturday Partner WODs are BACK! For a welcome back we have this spicy “3 Piece Meal”. Through the WOD you will have 1 partner resting, and 1 partner working the entire time. During the row try to keep short but intense intervals with your partner, switching off as soon as you feel yourself fatigue. The deadlifts should be a weight that you could do 20 reps unbroken. For this workout, a good plan would be to break the deadlifts into 10’s or possibly even sets of 5’s. Breaking the reps up is even more important for the gymnastic movement you choose today. Once you burn out a gymnastic movement, it is hard to get it back. The goal for this workout is to finish around 20-23 minutes.
2019 11 10