Strength/Skill Work: 12 minutes to perform 4-5 sets of a 1+1 Squat Clean @ 85-95%
*After each set perform :30 Hollow Flutter Kicks (optional)
“Pumpkin Spice Latte”
7 min AMRAP: (Partner WOD)
6 Deadlifts F(95/65) P(115/75) S(135/95)
5 Hang Power Cleans
4 Front Squats
*Alternate Full Rounds
– This will be our final heavy day of our Squat Clean progression before our retest. Next week we will have a deload week, and then the following week we will shoot for a new 1 rep max. We will be working in the same percentages as last week, but going for a squat clean double, performed as two singles. Take :10-15 seconds between reps and treat each one as its own. Between your sets you may choose to complete :30 seconds of Hollow Flutter Kicks, but this will be completely optional.
– “Pumpkin Spice Latte” will be a partner variation of the CrossFit Benchmark WOD “D.T.”. Because you will get a 1:1 work/rest ratio, pick a weight that you can go unbroken on each movement throughout the entire workout. We expect most rounds to take :20-40 seconds to complete, so expect to get quite a few rounds!
“Facing the Minimum”
10 min EMOM:
Min 1: Cal Ski
Min 2: Step-ups
Min 3: Bar Facing Burpees
Min 4: Cal Row
Min 5: Cal Bike
10 min AMRAP:
Bar Facing Burpees
– “Facing the Minimum” will be our next EMOM to AMRAP challenge. Because of the overall number of movements, the variance should help allow you to push and sustain bigger numbers throughout. Just like the past weeks, whatever numbers you set in the EMOM you will carry into the AMRAP. The Step-ups should give you one station to catch your breath on. The Bar Facing Burpees have been plugged in every week so far, so you should be familiar with the number of reps you can hit on this movement. Our score today will be the total reps of the ENTIRE workout EMOM to AMRAP.
Strength/Skill Work: 15 minutes to build to a heavy 6-8 rep DB Bench Press
*After each set perform 10 Banded Seated Rows
12 min AMRAP: (For Quality)
12 SA DB Clean and Strict Press
3-6 Strict Pull-ups S(Weighted)
:30 second Wall-Sit (Adv. WS March)
– Our focus today is pressing which we will have in both the strength and metcon. During the strength we are focusing on a horizontal press, and building in the DB Bench Press. Ideally, each set we are increasing in weight if technique allows. If you max out early, feel free to complete a few more sets at your last successful weight. Between each round we will perform 10 Banded Seated Rows to prepare for the Pull-ups in the WOD.
– Like the past few Wednesdays, our main focus has been to move for quality. This 12 minute AMRAP will carry the pressing from the strength, but this time with a DB Hang Clean and Strict Press. You may choose to increase weight each round, or if you want to start with a challenging weight, you can. The Pull-ups should be completed in 1-2 quality sets, and you may choose to add weight if it feels good! The last movement of the day is a :30 second Wall-Sit. If you want to make this movement more challenging, try marching in place! Again, we will not be scoring Rounds and Reps, and only recording the weight for the DB Clean and Strict Press.
“Annie, Are You Okay?”
For Time: (20 minute cap)
Double Unders F(Plate Hops) S(2x Dubs)
*Run 400m between each round
– “Annie, Are You Okay?” is a play on CrossFit Benchmark WOD “Annie”. This variation is identical to normal “Annie” with the additions of a 400m run between each of the rounds. The Sit-ups will be time consuming in the beginning, but speed up significantly as the reps start to drop. Try to not allow this to become a Double Under workout. If you are nervous about some of the rep numbers, lower them down, or modify to Plate Hops to stay moving. If you love Double Unders and you can do these numbers unbroken, try the sport option today of 2x the Double Under reps. Unlike the normal benchmark, this version will get harder as you go, due to the Runs coming more frequently. Try to hold a consistent pace throughout!
“You Say Jump”
24 min EMOM:
Min 1: 1 Power Snatch + 3 Overhead Squats (AHAP)
Min 2: :30-45 sec. Ring FLR Hold
Min 3: 4-8 Seated Box Jumps
Min 4: Rest
– We will be continuing with the Strength Formatted EMOM, this time with a slight twist. We will continue to have squats involved, but today you will also get to Snatch the weight before starting the Overhead Squats. The goal is to slightly increase weight each round, as long as technique allows. Our gymnastic movement is a :30-45 second RIng FLR hold. Challenge yourself to stay in a hollow body position on your toes, while slightly turning the rings out away from you. Minute 3 will be a Seated Box Jump with a range in reps. If you plan on going on the higher end today, stay with the lower rep numbers. You must be able to land above parallel to continue adding height to the box. Minute 4 will be a rest period to allow you to switch weights off, and recover before the next round.
Strength/Skill Work: Every 2 minutes for 10 minutes perform 3-5 Banded Deadlifts (20×1)
*Work up to weight you plan to use in the workout, or just above
18 min AMRAP: (Partner WOD)
60 Wall-Balls F(14/10) P/S(20/14)
40/30 Cal Row
20 Deadlifts F(155/105) P(185/125) S(225/155) (20×1)
– “Sir Row-A-Lot” will be a fun partner WOD to end the week strong. We will be taking a few minutes to build up to or just above our working weight for the WOD with a few sets of a Banded Deadlift. The band will add difficulty to the lift the further you get away from the floor, which is usually where the deadlift gets easier. Both deadlifts in the strength and metcon today will have a slight tempo attached to them. This should be a weight that you could complete 15+ reps with unbroken, but splitting in sets of 5 would be smart. For the Cal Row try to keep the intensity high while you are working knowing that you will get a rest period while your teammate is going. The Wall-Balls will add up quickly, so be smart in the amount of reps you go for in any given set. A good goal will be 3-4 rounds.
2020 01 12