Strength/Skill Work: 18 minutes to build to a 5 rep max Sumo Deadlift
For Time: (11 min cap)
1000m Run F(800m) S(1200m)
50 Russian Kettlebell Swings F(53/35) P(62/44) S(70/53)
30 Burpees to a Target (6″)
– The big focus and majority of the class will be on the retest of our 5 rep max Sumo Deadlift. After weeks of RDL and Sumo Deadlift progression, we are finally at our retest. Make it your goal today to use the entire 18 minutes to get to your heavy 5 reps, taking adequate rest in between attempts. Our original test-in date was on 8.09.19, so make sure you look back on SugarWOD before you take class!
– “Dive Bomber” is a ‘sprint’ chipper to end the week. We say sprint lightly because you are starting with a long distance run, but this is a run that we should push. The goal for whatever run distance you pick is to finish in around 5 minutes. When you come back from the run you will begin chipping away at 50 Russian KBS. The goal is to pick a weight that you can complete the reps in 2-3 sets. We will end the workout with 30 Burpees to a Target, ideally that target is about 6” above your outstretched arm. Knowing that this is the last part of the workout, aim to do these as quickly as possible. There is an 11 minute cap on this workout today.
“Strict Lynne” (Last completed on 8.7.19)
5 Rounds of: (25 Min Cap)
Max Bench Press F(DB Bench Press 50/25) P(155/85) S(Bodyweight)
Max Strict Pull Ups F(Banded Pull Ups)
*3 Minutes Rest After Each Round
Our workout today is a variation of the CrossFit benchmark “Lynne”. When selecting a weight for the bench press, make sure we are able
to hit at least 5+ reps every round, with your first set being closer to 8+. On the pull ups, you should be hitting a similar rep range to the bench press, so scale as needed. The 3 minute rest is a nice, long rest to allow you to stay consistent across all 5 rounds. When developing strength, taking adequate rest like this is necessary to allow us to push our limits on each of the 5 rounds. For athletes that are newer to the bench press, or who have shoulder issues, you will want to opt for the DB Bench Press over the barbell today.
“Midnight in Paris”
Every 4 minutes for 5 Rounds:
45 Double Unders F(100 Singles) S(60 Dubs)
7 Hang Squat Cleans F(75/55) P(95/65) S(115/75)
*If round is completed under 3:00 add 2 reps to the Hang Squat Cleans
– The focus today is on your ability to recover quickly, and cycle a light barbell. In this interval the sit-ups and double unders will stay consistent each round. The sit-ups will take just over a minute to complete, and the double unders should be something you can complete quickly. The first round will end with 7 Hang Squat Cleans. If the entire round was completed before 3 minutes, add 2 reps to the Hang Squat Cleans on the next round. This trend will continue until you cannot complete the round under 3 minutes OR you finish the 5 rounds (15 reps). This should be a weight that when fresh you could do 10+ reps unbroken without setting the barbell down. If you get to a rep number that you can’t get under 3 minutes, stay there for the remainder of the WOD.
“Hold My Fit-Aid”
In 1:30 complete:
:30 D-Ball Front Hold
Max Cal Ski Erg in remaining time
In 1:30 complete:
:30 FLR Hold
Max Cal Bike Erg in remaining time
– “Hold My Fit-Aid” will be a workout format that we have done frequently, but with a twist. Today you will start each 1:30 round with an isometric hold, and then with the remaining minute perform max calories on one of the machines. The first station will be a D-Ball Front hold. You can go as heavy as you would like with this as long as you can stay standing upright, and keep the ball above the belly button. With the remaining time on this station you will complete a max cal Ski Erg. After a 1:30 rest, station 2 will begin with a :30 second FLR hold. After this hold, you will complete a 1:00 max cal Bike Erg. The goal today is to accumulate as many calories as you can throughout the 4 rounds.
Strength/Skill Work: Every 1:30 for 8 Rounds complete 1 Power Snatch + 3 Overhead Squats (21×1)
15 Min AMRAP: (Teams of 2 – Alternating Full Rounds)
10 Overhead Squats F(45/35) P/S(75/55)
10 Toes to Bar F(Toes to Rings)
*Partner 2 starts their Row when partner 1 starts their Toes to Bar
– The focus today is the Overhead Squat, which we will have in both the strength and metcon. During the strength you won’t get much prep time before we jump into the interval, but you will have 8 rounds to build in weight. The weight will be limited because we are taking it from the floor, and because of the tempo attached to the squats. Be conservative on your weight jumps, and use today as a chance to improve your OH position.
– We will be ending this week with a fun partner WOD. During “Sleepover Party” you will be alternating full rounds with your partner, starting the next round when you partner starts their Toes to Bar. Because you are given rest between attempts when it is your time to work try to keep the intensity high. The Overhead Squats should be at a weight that you can go unbroken on every round. For the Toes to Bar, they should be completed in 1-2 quick sets before resting. Ideally we are completing each round in about 2 minutes, with close to the same amount of rest between your rounds.